PAUL BRITTAIN (ROMSLEY)

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Martin Swift RY67
Forum Member

Re: PAUL BRITTAIN (ROMSLEY)

Post by Martin Swift RY67 »

Paul’s funeral was packed, with many people standing outside. I stood with Martin Lynch and we shared a few humorous memories of Paul during the service. We had worked together at Romsley for many years.
Paul was one of the best technicians I knew and was respected by everyone he came into contact with.

He went from being a superb radio man to mastering the early digital technology used in VDUs operated by WMP, and used those skills to help others, often with the curious faults which defeated us mere mortals on the Mascot 1000 remote operator position in Birmingham. Later in his DTELS career he managed local major projects out of Romsley.

After leaving RY Paul worked for Laney Amplifiers close to where he lived in the Black Country. He will be missed.
turnerj
Forum Member

Re: PAUL BRITTAIN (ROMSLEY)

Post by turnerj »

I can only agree with Steve here: a friendly and unassuming person, if ever I saw one. If anyone could steady a ship, I think it was Paul.
I knew Paul when he was a TTE2 (I think that was the Grade - formerly CWT) at Romsley, and I remember well how readily he engaged with colleagues in different roles within the Home Office/DTELS - everyone knew him, and everyone liked him, and he would always come and say hello.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Funeral Details

Post by Steven Cole »

It is understood that Paul's funeral will take place at 13:30hrs on the 1st February 2011 at Stourbridge Crematorium, South Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands DY8 3RQ. Flower, wreath or other preferences are not known.

The main entrance to the crematorium, which operates a one-way road system, is denoted by the blue tag in this google map.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

PAUL BRITTAIN (ROMSLEY)

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with sad regret to announce that Paul Brittain died on Sunday 16th January 2011 at 21:45hrs following a period of illness. Paul is survived by his wife, Pat. Further details will be posted as they are made known to the webmaster.

Webmaster Note
I'm so saddened to hear of Paul's untimely death. My early recollections of Paul was meeting him soon after I joined the Directorate in early 1970 as a 'rookie' technician based at Romsley. His friendly and unassuming outgoing approach was a great help to me during my early months whilst I made the transition from mending 405/625 televisions to maintaining radio communication equipment. Our paths crossed on a number of occasions during the intervening years as we progressed our respective careers and I always enjoyed our encounters.

My condolences to Pat and his family.

Steven R. Cole....
Last edited by Steven Cole on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.