FRED PICKARD (CWT - CRANBROOK)

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Desmond Foulger
Forum Member

Re: FRED PICKARD (CWT - CRANBROOK)

Post by Desmond Foulger »

It’s with sadness that I recently heard of Fred’s passing. A great influencer and mentor to this day. From whom I adopted many of his ethical standards. So well known for his habit of calling everyone “Sir”. I picked up the habit myself and for this alone, in New Zealand, his memory continues. A quiet and honourable man, may he continue to fly with the Angels. Desmond Foulger Cranbrook Wireless Station 1968 - 1974. foulgernz@gmail.com
Steven Cole
Site Admin

A Short Message from Fred's Daughter, Louise

Post by Steven Cole »

Posted on behalf of Louise Albosh

I just wanted to pass on a belated thank you for the lovely flowers that Dave Rumens arranged for Dad's funeral. They we're very much appreciated. It was also lovely to be supported by several of Dad's former colleagues at the funeral and in particular by Colin who had had a very long journey.

Thank you to everyone at DTELS for all your kind words.

Kind regards

Louise Albosh (nee Pickard)

webmaster note: message conveyed to Dave Rumens yesterday and acknowledged with thanks
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Hastings Electronics & Radio Club Obituary

Post by Steven Cole »

Fred Pickard (G3KNI) 1930-2015

An obituary from John Heys G3BDQ
Fred Cornish
Forum Member

Post by Fred Cornish »

I first met Fred in January 1983 when I was posted to Cranbrook as a CWT Fred was extremely helpful to me and went out of his way to help me settle in, he showed me round the area, nothing was too much trouble for him. We had some good times working together we worked well as a team. Fred was well liked by all the staff and customers alike he always tried his best to give them what they wanted. He kept a weather eye on the staff and tried to be a father figure to them by advising them on the best cause of action to take he always had time to talk to them.
He had a ready sense of humour and many a time we had a good laugh together over some matter or other.
Fred was one of life's characters and will be sadly missed by all that knew him
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Funeral Date & Time

Post by Steven Cole »

The funeral of Fred Pickard will be at 11:00hrs on Tuesday 3rd March 2015 at Hastings Crematorium. Those who knew Fred and would like to pay their respects are welcome to attend the service. The crematorium address is:

The Ridge, Hastings, TN34 2AE Tel: 01424-451057

Website
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Sad news. Before working for the Home Office Fred was employed by the Air Ministry at the Beachy Head Radar Station. He joined the Home Office as a Technician at Cranbrook in the early 1960’s. He remained at Cranbrook and was promoted to a SWT in the late 1960’s taking over the installation team from Bob Swan. When the second CWT was introduced at Cranbrook, in the mid 1970’s, Fred was promoted into this post. At the latter end of his career he transferred to Rochester Row.

I worked with Fred, my SWT, from 1969 to 1974. He was always a gentleman and considerate to his staff. He also went the extra mile for the customer to ensure their systems remained on air.

RIP Fred you are part of Cranbrook’s History.
Allan
Forum Member

Post by Allan »

Oh dear...very sad...Fred was my first CWT at Cranbrook;always the gentleman and very much of the old school...R.I.P. Fred
Steven Cole
Site Admin

FRED PICKARD (CWT - CRANBROOK)

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with regret to announce Eddie Mole notified me that Fred Pickard died on Wednesday 11th February 2015. Funeral details will be posted to this forum when information is forthcoming.

On a personal note whenever our paths crossed Fred was always very approachable, knowledgeable, helpful and had a good sense of humour.

Fred Pickard's Retirement