Northumberland Constabulary Ariel Leader Motorcycle

This category is intended for NON-PROFIT MAKING groups or organisations who are seeking information or support associated with museums, web-sites or other activities that are Public Safety/DTELS business related.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Re: Northumberland Constabulary Ariel Leader Motorcycle

Post by Steven Cole »

Posted on behalf of Roger James

My name is Roger James from Tibshelf in Derbyshire I am responding to the message left by Roy Williscroft relating to his ex Northumberland Police Leader WNL866. This is one of a batch of 6 Leaders fitted with Police equipment that was supplied by the Ariel factory on 24th July 1962 despatched to the dealer J Main & Sons of Ashington for prepping and passing on to Northumberland Police.

In addition Roy might like to know that I own another Leader from the same batch registration WNL864 that I restored with Police equipment circa 1993, the photograph below was taken at the Ariel Club annual rally in Nottinghamshire in 1994 displayed alongside my ex City of Sheffield Police Leader. They are fitted with Pye Westminster motorcycle radios, incorrect for these Police Leaders, they should be fitted with Cossor radios but I was finding it very difficult to find one at the time although I now have a replica Cossor radio for them.

ex Northumberland Police Leader WNL864 Motorcycle

Replica Shropshire Police Arrow Motorcycle fitted with Cossor 108 radio and Aveley Aerial Base plus whip antenna

Webmaster Note
Roger kindly contacted me the other day in response to seeing Roy's posting back in September 2013 seeking information on the Ariel Leader Police Motorcycle. Unfortunately, emails to Roy's only known address are being bounced as mailbox locked. If Roy is still monitoring this forum can he please contact me so I can put him in touch with Roger?
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Northumberland Constabulary Ariel Leader Motorcycle

Post by Steven Cole »

A Request for Information Posted on Behalf of Roy Williscroft

I recently acquired a 1962 police motorcycle, registration number WNL866, registered in August 1962 in Morpeth by Northumbria Police. It would have had a police band radio fitted, probably a Cossor?

I would really like to find a photo of it in uniform and obtain information on the type of radio it was fitted with. I am told that the Radio Workshops at Marley Hill or the detachment in Morthpeth Court House Archway (2 persons) may have fitted and looked after the equipment.

The motorcycle is currently 6 volt. Was the Cossor 6 volt or what arrangement would have been used?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Roy Williscroft