Suffolk Hilltop Locn. Poss Lodgewood

Postings to this forum should be confined to matters related to individuals, groups or organisations who are seeking information or support associated with museums, web-sites or other NON-PROFIT MAKING activities associated with the former United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation (UKWMO) or the Royal Observer Corps (ROC).
scanlos
Forum Member

Re: Suffolk Hilltop Locn. Poss Lodgewood

Post by scanlos »

Hello Christopher
Thank you very much for confirming the site as Peasenhall. I am sorry your colleague is no longer with us. My research has not progressed for years, the UK National Archives at Kew hold files regarding RN1&RN2 open for public viewing after 30 years, but nothing about the earlier VHF links.
Thanks Steve
ChristopherClarke
Forum Member

Re: Suffolk Hilltop Locn. Poss Lodgewood

Post by ChristopherClarke »

I can confirm Lodgewood site was also known as Peasenhall, it was a Suffolk Police HTS with ECN equipment located here also, visited many times with Denis Everett the Cheveley SWT responsible for maintaining the ECN and ROC networks, sadly no longer with us.
scanlos
Forum Member

Suffolk Hilltop Locn. Poss Lodgewood

Post by scanlos »

A series of old photographs of Regional Government Headquarters have released on the Sub-Brit website. A number of these clearly show the aerial arrangements at RGHQ 4.1 at Bawburgh, Norwich. I visited the site in 1981 and made a note of how I thought the aerials were arranged. The new photograph from that time reveals some errors in my judgement. There are two UHF yagis and a VHF yagi pointing approx 152 degrees. The VHF is likely to be the Royal Observer Corp (UKWMO ome defence) link from Norwich to Colchester.

I am trying to identify a likely mast about 152 degrees from Bawburgh and found one at TM362719, the official name may be Lodgewood as Lodge Wood is opposite the mast in Peasenhall Rd right next to the Sibton Water tower. Can you confirm this is a HO site with possible HD connections I would appreciate any suggestions if this is the wrong location.

I would appreciate any historical information about the routing of Home Defence / UKWMO radio links from the seventies / eighties before the introduction of the RN1 and RN2, whether they be in the Cheveley region or elsewhere.

Steve