Hi From BILL KNOX Late Cranbrook-Bedford & Cambs o/s

This forum should be confined to people who wish to re-establish contact with former DTELS colleagues and friends.

NOTE: please respect privacy regarding the distribution of sensitive contact detail within these forum pages as some individuals may not wish to have such information broadcast on the internet.
Stewart Ingram
Forum Member

Re: Hi From BILL KNOX Late Cranbrook-Bedford & Cambs o/s

Post by Stewart Ingram »

Hello Bill, hope you remember me?
Stewart Ingram, from Hinchingbrooke (Cambs), later the 'new' Kempston at Fire Hq, where I took over the new contract from yourself. That went well, had a great relationship established with Ian at Fire HQ, but sadly finances came to a head and I had to move on, under Chris Clarke at Herts. Not long after I took redundancy (around 2001/2). I then had my 'Gap Year' :D , but afterwards settled in to a great Comms job on the Underground, from which I retired shortly before Covid struck. Coming up 74 next February, how time flies.
Sorry to hear about your wife, you must miss her. I haven't heard much from our fellow DTELS guys; I went to Mick Joice's funeral, met John from Norwich there. I've seen Ivan Potter a few times in Tesco (not lately though, his wife used to work there).
Best regards, Stewart
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Hello Bill, About the same here with number of radio projects on the go to use the old skills and keep the mind working. I still live in the Newbury area which is where we moved to when I went to Hannington. We didn't move when I subsequently went to Weyhill as the children were taking their GCSE and A levels.

We have had one or two shops in Newbury permanently close due to the lockdowns.

Thanks,
Dave
Bill KNOX
Forum Member

Post by Bill KNOX »

Hi Dave

Looking at the Dtels forum there has not been a lot of activity in the last few years

I do a little gardening and I do mean a little to pass a bit of time and I occupy a lot of time renovating the old R1155 aircraft receivers
but they have started to got for stupid money lately, I have recently bought a Marconi Guardian MK3 receiver just to see something a bit different, I am picking that up next Friday the 21st May.

What part of the world do you live in now, I have lived in Bedford since 1984, it's not a bad place, though with COVID around I have not been to Bedford town since this time last year.

Regards

Bill
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Hello Bill, Still around this end, though as you say a number of people we knew are no longer with us. Sorry to hear you have lost your wife. Lets hope the jabs help us all get back to some form of normal life.
Thanks,
Dave
Bill KNOX
Forum Member

Post by Bill KNOX »

Hi To all at Dtels and the older directorate of telecoms people

I don't know if there are many of us around now a days

I am still going strong, now coming up to 82 in a few weeks time, I lost my wife some 18 months ago and that was a big blow to me, we did everything together, but such is life!!!!!!

I hear every now and then that we have lost a few techs and such.

I hope all those remaining keep in good health, keep away from the COVID

By for now

Bill
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Welcome Fred, hope you are well and I agree its great to see some of the Dtels names, including yours, on site.

Regards
Dave
Fred Cornish
Forum Member

Post by Fred Cornish »

Hello to everyone who remembers me.

It's good to browse and see the old names.

Regards to all

Fred Cornish
Bob Swann
Forum Member

Dave Rumans

Post by Bob Swann »

Hi Dave glad to see that you are still around. Remember Cranbrook days and the trips we had to Canterbury Colledge for day release pleased to see that you are still into your cars

Bob swann
Derek Coombes
Forum Member

Post by Derek Coombes »

Hi Steve
Just a quickie, for your information, as I?m not sure how one can say this sensitively but the facts are saddly, the below list have passed away in recently years.
Eddie Pinkstone (mech)
Jim Starling (Stores)
Derek Crackenhall (mech)
Tony Fowler (Tech)

I will, of course, sort some photos out of Cheveley for you, as soon as I get a minute.
Derek
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Thanks for Logging On Derek

Post by Steven Cole »

:) Hello Derek

Good to hear from you again. Any chance of some more photos or info from you or others in your part of the world to start building up a file on Cheveley and its Outstations?

Steven......
Derek Coombes
Forum Member

Post by Derek Coombes »

Hi, From Derek Coombes. Ex Cheveley.
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Bill,

Nice to hear from you and I agree it is good to see a site devoted to the old firm.

Hope you are well and doing ok for yourself.

Happy New Year. :)

Dave
Bill KNOX
Forum Member

Hi From BILL KNOX Late Cranbrook-Bedford & Cambs o/s

Post by Bill KNOX »

Hi How is everyone

Its good to see someone still thinking of D.O.T & Dtels

Regards

Bill KNOX : :o