JOHN MALONEY (SENIOR WIRELESS ENGINEER - HQ)

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Memories

Post by Steven Cole »

Hello Ian
Thanks for your shared memories of working with John. By way of remembrance, I have included links below to some of John's past articles that appear on this web site.

Regards
Steven....

Divers and Diverse Talk, Divers Talk (Intercom Journal June 1976 Page 3) and More Divers Talk (Intercom Journal December 1977 Page 2)
It's A Gas! (Intercom Journal December 1978 Page 8.)
Percy the Pike
Peta Meter
Samba
Skyshout and Celestial Voice (Intercom Journal December 1977 Page 28.)
Source
Ian Aitken
Forum Member

John Maloney

Post by Ian Aitken »

Hi Steven
The news from Mike of Johns passing has come as a shock. Like you I had a good chat with him at the reunion last December and he seemed fine then if a little thinner.
I worked with John in R&D when I first when to London as CWT. John guided me through the ways of Rochester Row along with Mike Brain and Charles Lucas. I assisted John on a number of projects but one I particularly remember was Helicopter PA. John had had an Army Lynx Helicopter from Middle Wallop fitted with a PA and arranged for it to be tested on the army ranges on Salisbury Plain. The idea was to see if a line of police officers could be controlled from the air. All went well as we marched up a hill and the Helicopter was able to guid us away from a group of Chieftian Tanks just over the other side. Don't know who was more surprised us or them! Johns work in DTELS produced many such stories.
Sorry I won't be able to get to his funeral.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

JOHN MALONEY (SENIOR WIRELESS ENGINEER - HQ)

Post by Steven Cole »

From Mike Phillips

I had a ?phone call from Josie Maloney to say that John had died on Saturday 26th September. He was circa 75 years and had been having chemotherapy treatment for some months. I understand that the funeral will be on WEDNESDAY 7th OCTOBER at 2.15 pm at Worth Crematorium, which I think is the Surrey & Sussex Crematorium in the Balcombe Road. I am sure that anyone that can get there would be welcome.

WEBMASTER NOTE
If you want to send a sympathy card to Josie and family, please email me a request for the postal address.

I was saddened to hear of John's death. Although our paths never really crossed during our time in the Directorate, we became more acquainted following the establishment of DTELS.org in 2004. During the last five years, John was a great help to me in providing historical information about the Directorate, as well as submitting a number of articles that have been published on this web site. I always enjoyed chatting with him by phone and had the pleasure of meeting John at the 2006 and 2008 DTELS reunions.

May you rest in peace John.