FRANK MITCHELL - COLWYN BAY

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Tribute To Frank Mitchell 1928 ? 2011

Post by Steven Cole »

Frank was born in St. Helen?s, Lancashire in 1928. His early interests were in steam railways, motorcycles and everything mechanical and electrical.

I first met Frank in 1954 when we both worked for Air Ministry seconded to the American Forces Radio/Radar Maintenance base at Burtonwood, Lancashire.

With the fear of redundancy at Burtonwood, Frank and I casually approached the Billinge Home Office Depot on Billinge Hill at the top of Crank Road on a Saturday morning to enquire about possible employment. Whilst having a cup of tea, unknown to us, interview arrangements were being made with the Regional Engineer, Mr. Birchall, C.W.T. Tertius Dobson and S.W.T. Bert Green. Fortunately both Frank and I got the Wireless Technician jobs and started together in 1957 the year after Frank had been best man at my wedding.

I left Billinge in 1965 to come to South Wales and Frank left in 1966 to work in Harrow as S.W.T. He was later granted a sideways transfer to the sub-depot in Colwyn Bay.

During his stay in Colwyn Bay he became well known for assisting others on all matters of a mechanical or electrical nature. He also became very active with the Lions Club there.

In 1985 Frank was promoted to C.W.T. and returned to Harrow and later Horseferry House and lived in rented accommodation in Tring.

Two years after his retirement in 1988 he decided to move to Worcester to be close to his daughter and her family.

Unfortunately during the last five years Frank?s health deteriorated due to diabetes, heart surgery and later prostate cancer.

His last couple of days were spent in St. Richard?s Hospice in Worcester and his funeral took place at Worcester Crematorium on Monday 7th February 2011 conducted by a Minister, who originated from St. Helen?s, and who had a similar sense of humour as Frank and this was appreciated by all who attended.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Funeral Date

Post by Steven Cole »

From Roy Hodgkinson

Friends and former colleagues who wish to attend the funeral are advised that it has been scheduled for 10:00hrs on Monday 7th February 2011 at Worcester Crematorium, Tintern Avenue, Astwood Road, Worcester WR3 8HA.
Google Map Ref
Steven Cole
Site Admin

FRANK MITCHELL - COLWYN BAY

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with sad regret to announce that Frank Mitchell, who lived in the Worcestershire area, died at the age of 82 on Monday 23rd January 2011 at 10:00hrs following a long period of illness. His final few days were spent in a local hospice. Frank is survived by his wife, Margaret.

Further details will be posted as they are made known to the webmaster.