CHARLES JOSEPH (HEADQUARTERS)

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

CHARLES JOSEPH (HEADQUARTERS)

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with regret to announce that Mike Phillips recently sent me an email to advise that Charles Joseph died in November 2017. No other details are known. However, Mike included the following comments in his email:

"I first met Charles when I joined the Directorate in late 1973 and was given the task of developing “scramblers” for RCS mobile radios. Charles was assigned to me to carry out the practical development and we had a bench at CCE. We commenced with a scrambler from GCHQ/CESG, then based at Eastcote, which was actually designed for scrambling over telephone lines. Charles carried out the interfacing with a pair of Pye FM Vanguard mobile radios and we carried out user trials with RCS4 in Birmingham. We later sourced a number of commercial scramblers and Charles developed all the various interface units ready for further user trials with Sussex Police. The programme subsequently led to the introduction of the Racal Comsec MA4014 Time Element Scrambler as an add-on unit to the RCS car-to-car radios, and that equipment was later replaced with the Racal Cougar radio.

Our paths crossed again circa 1983 when he joined the Mobile Radio Group at Horseferry House and helped with the specifications for the purchasing of the mobile radio equipment for the Frequency Conversion Programme. He was a quiet person, but his contribution to some of the Directorate’s work was much appreciated.

When he retired, he and his wife Jean moved to Bletchingly in Surrey."

If anyone else wishes to add to Mike's recollections of Charles please contact the webmaster or add a posting if you are already a member of the DTELS forum.