STANLEY BURNINGHAM (CWT - CHEVELEY)

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
gordon wyatt
Forum Member

Re: STANLEY BURNINGHAM (CWT - CHEVELEY)

Post by gordon wyatt »

Very sad to hear of the passing of Brum.
I worked with Brum as my SWT during my days at Cheveley many moons ago.

Once Brum learnt that one of my hobbies was coarse fishing he told me that I should take up proper fishing and taught me how to cast a Fly. Then he took me to the river Lark one evening. I was able to put my fly over a rising trout and caught my first brownie on the fly.
I never looked back and took many more trout, sea trout (Sewin in Wales) and Salmon.

Brum had changed my life forever not just fishing, a true Gentleman.

R.I.P. old Friend

Gordon Wyatt ex WT at Cheveley
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Funeral Details

Post by Steven Cole »

The funeral will be held at West Suffolk Crematorium and Cemetery St Edmund's Chapel on Tuesday 21st May 2019 commencing 11:00 hrs. Afterwards a wake will be held at the co-located Meadow Café and those who knew "Brum" and would like to pay their respects are welcome to attend.

Crematorium Website
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Post Recollections Article

Post by Steven Cole »

An brief article on "Brum" sent in by Bob Swann has been on this web site in the post recollections section for around fourteen years, please click this link to view
Steven Cole
Site Admin

STANLEY BURNINGHAM (CWT - CHEVELEY)

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with regret to announce that Chris Clarke contacted me today to advise that Stanley Burningham, a former CWT at Cheveley Depot, passed away peacefully on Saturday 4th May aged 95. The following text is from his daughter, Hayley, who also worked at Cheveley.

"Stanley Burningham better known as “Brum” received his call up papers in 1941 but was deferred for a year to finish his apprenticeship and in 1942 was recruited by the Special Operations Executive (SOE) because of his radio communications skills as a wireless engineer otherwise he would have been in the RAF as a wireless operator in bombers, probably not here to tell the tale!

Brum went before a selection board in London where they decided he would be better suited as a Civilian Communications Engineer assisting the SOE and Military. He worked at a secret Government Wireless Station at Hannington and Kingsclere. He resided in a country house called the Red House at Pamber Heath, near Basingstoke. It was also a training centre for Women Wireless Operators for surveillance purposes. They communicated with Bletchley Park gathering information from France and Germany etc.

In 1946 the military were stood down and the reconstruction took place. Brum then reapplied to the Home Office for a technician’s post which he got with the DTELS. He climbed through the ranks eventually becoming in charge of a large number of technicians at regional sites throughout East Anglia as a Chief Wireless Technician. To get promoted he had to transfer to Cheveley where her remained until he retired in 1983.

Brum had a long and happy retirement"