MICK JOYCE

This section contains announcements and postings relating to ex-DTELS members of staff who's death has been notified to this forum.
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Past Memories of Mick Joyce

Post by Steven Cole »

Posted by Steven R. Cole on behalf of Mark Wild

Its with much regret that I have just read Mick Joyce has passed. I remember Mick as he trained me at DTELS when I first started in 1993. I arrived about a year before NTL bought DTELS and left about three and half years later due to my own young stupidity being young and foolish. We kept in touch for a little while, but life moved on for me. He was a great man who was always there for anyone and I will always remember him fondly.

Its with Mick's input and the staff at Cheveley that I continue to work in the security and automotive industry and now run a small limited company myself.

I also wish to say hello to Ivan Potter and Stuart Ingram. Also to Jim and apologies but I can't remember my Boss's name at the time. I think I was too scared in letting him down.

Best Regards
Mark Wild

ps: catch up soon Mick...
Steven Cole
Site Admin

MICK JOYCE

Post by Steven Cole »

It is with sad regret to announce that DTELS.org has been advised of the early death of Mick Joyce at the age of 57. Mick contracted mouth cancer and was thought to be on the road to recovery when he was taken into hospital during mid-February 2008 and subsequently passed away on 9th April.

His funeral was held at Cambridge Crematorium on Thursday 24th April 2008 and a number of his former colleagues attended the private service. It is understood that his former employer, Arqiva, donated ?250 to the Cambridge Cancer Research Fund.

It is thought that Mick commenced with the Directorate of Telecommunications around 1977-79 in Cheveley Region, later to be based at Hinchingbrook Detachment. When DTELS was privatised in 1994 his service continued with NTL, later to become Arqiva, until he was made redundant in May/June 2005. During his DTELS service he made a valuable contribution as a union activist in support of his colleagues.

If anyone has more information, please e-mail me as soon as possible - see feedback for contact details.

Source:
Chris Clarke