Billinge

Topics to this forum should be confined to discussion relating to the depots, sub-depots and outstations
rooster aka K Chadwick
Forum Member

Post by rooster aka K Chadwick »

Hi Steven,
That's great news and I look forward to reading the article.
Please don't forget to email me when it's up for viewing.

Karl
Roll on redundancy's
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Billinge Photo Update

Post by Steven Cole »

Hello Karl

Further to my last email to you the other day. I have since established the name and contact details of the person who lodged the photo on the Billinge site and have written to him requesting permission to publish the photo on DTELS.Org. I have also been passed an article which outlines the history associated with the early days of DOT Billinge and I am also hoping to be able to publish this article. I will email you when I know more.

Meanwhile, thanks for bringing this photo to my attention. It has produced some interesting information, which hopefully can be shared with others soon.

Regards

Steven....
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Karl, thanks for the feedback, I remember the same masts being around in the 1960's when I joined the outfit at Cranbrook. They were basically guyed poles. The brackets you can see sticking out held the link yagi aerials.

Billinge would have been built around 1942. Most of the regional radio stations had a 132 foot broadcast mast for the TX and two 75 foot poles holding a dipole for the RX. It was an MF set-up until after the war.

Please give my regards to the Billingers. I last visited the site in 1992.

Dave
rooster aka K Chadwick
Forum Member

Hi David,
It has to be around the year stated as Billinge (I believe) was built in the very early 50's.
I have worked at Billinge since 1997, but we don't get much info on the history.
The picture was taken from a local 'Billingers' web site, where there are loads of pictures of the village and people, but this is the only picture of the site.

Karl
Roll on redundancy's
David Rumens
Forum Member

Post by David Rumens »

Karl, a very interesting picture. The masts look more like 1950's than late 1930's as they appear to have link aerials, yagi 6 elelments, attached but I could be wrong.

Any more info?

Regards

Dave
rooster aka K Chadwick
Forum Member

Billinge

Thought this may be of interest to old and new associates.

Billinge Radio Station c1938

Karl