Help Sought in Identifying Photos

This is presently the catch-all forum for discussion not covered by the other topics!
gordon wyatt
Forum Member

Bill Whitcher

Post by gordon wyatt »

Hi Steve
I can certainly confirm that Bill Whitcher worked on CCTV at Weyhill when I was SWT at the Fire Service Tech College Moreton-in-Marsh. Looking after Long Lartin

Regards Gordon
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Change of URL

Post by Steven Cole »

A quick note to say that as of today the unknown photos have now been placed in the Headquarters - Exhibitions section. They can be found at: Leicester University

Thanks to Alan Copperwaite and Mike Brain for their input on this subject.

Steven...
AlanCopp
Forum Member

Unidentified Photos

Post by AlanCopp »

Steven

Yes it may be so. The only thing that seems odd is that I recall Weyhill MU being very much in its infancy at that time. I think elsewhere it says that it was being built in 1970 but I only recall it coming online about 1971-2 a year before I left to join PNC. At that time I know they were looking at automated faultfinding and repair of things like Pocketfones and also to repair test equipment such as signal generators which were very expensive to get fixed by people like Marconi. They subsequently went on to maintain the SE Labs VDUs but that was after PNC went live in 73. I did not recall CCTV being part of their activities but then I was not working down there and the brain fades badly after 30 years!

All the Best
Alan Copperwaite
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by Steven Cole »

Alan

Thanks for your comments. Seperately, Mike Brain contacted me to say that it is Bill Whitcher WT seen in JRL0015 and thinks that Bill worked in the CCTV Section at Weyhill in those early days before he eventually moved into Maintenance Planning Group by the time I arrived there in 1983. Although his face was familiar, I could not put a name to it!

So maybe Bill was there to advise on CCTV cameras/locations. Perhaps Weyhill MU mounted some sort of CCTV display at the exhibition. It could be feasible given the position of some of the camera shots. Does it ring any bells?

Based on the views expressed so far, I'm going to tag these photos as being associated with the 1971 exhibition with a qualifier that if anyone else knows better, then they should contact me.

Cheers

Steven.... :)
AlanCopp
Forum Member

Pictures

Post by AlanCopp »

Steven, I have a vague recollection of the pictures. I also believe they were pre-exhibition 'scouting' pictures for Leicester University. Leicester Uni are very coy about their architecture(!) but this link http://www.le.ac.uk/portals/maps/mcampus.html shows the campus in 3D and it does seem correspond. The pictures of the roof are obviously for antenna location and cable access routes. The gentleman in the picture I seem to recall was a SWT or similar from a local depot responsible for antenna installation but I do remember that the picture was set up that way to create humour. Dick Sanders I believe took the pictures because he had a very swish camera, expensive for that time. I'm afraid the mists of time however have crept in and I was not very involved in that exhibition.

Very Best Regards
Alan
Steven Cole
Site Admin

Help Sought in Identifying Photos

Post by Steven Cole »

Earlier today, I placed a quantity of black and white photos on the site at the following location: Leicester University. The negatives were contained in packets marked "Beginning of Weyhill 1970". However, after scanning the negatives it was clear to me that they were pictures of somewhere else! I have taken a wild guess that the buildings look like a college or university and may be relating to the 1971 exhibition that the Directorate mounted at Leicester University.

I would appreciate any information or help that can be given in respect of identifying these photos, in particular location, probable date, was it in connection with Directorate business. Also, who is the gentleman in image JRL0015 Leicester University?

Thanks

Steven.....

Update: Now known to be Bill Whitcher.