Directorate of Telecommunications
MISCELLANEOUS; EXTERNAL PUBLICATIONS
This section covers articles or publications external to the Directorate that are relevant in some way to the work that the organisation undertook.
Click on the appropriate icon below and save the required PDF file to your computer hard-drive.
- Police Bulletin Extracts
- Triumph Police Motorcycle Brochure
- Marriage of Figaro
- IPMS Bulletin
- The Emergency Work of the Police Forces in the Second World War
The Emergency Work of the Police Forces in the Second World War
A book giving a detailed account of the work of the Police in England and Wales in preparation for a War Emergency, then under war conditions from 1939-1945. It is thought to have been circulated to a limited number of Civil Service recipients and possibly relevant ministers of the day.
The detailed account amassing to some 247 typed pages and hard bound was written by Sir Arthur L. Dixon, who until his retirement as Principal Assistant Under Secretary of State in the Home Office, had served a long and distinguished service with the Home Office, having joined at the age of 22 in 1903.
The account covers many aspects of policing during the period in question. Whilst much of the content is non-telecommunications orientated, it has been given prominence on this site as there are chapters relating to Police Communications, which went on to shape the work of the Directorate post war. Chapters of note are listed as follows:
- Chapter X (Page 58) Police Communications
- Chapter XIX (Page 124) Police Communications, Buildings and Supplies
Due to scanner constraints, some pages may have incomplete footnotes. It is hoped this does not detract from what is otherwise a remarkable account of the pressures and changes that occurred in policing during a challenging period in British history.
- Police Bulletins; Crown Copyright
- Triumph Brochure; Bryn Oliver. Triumph Engineering Copyright
- Marriage of Figaro; Peter Bridgeman. Copyright ACPO Bulletin, New York City Fire Department and Roke Manor
- IPMS Bulletin Snippet; Mike Watson. IPMS Copyright
- Mike Phillips for the loan of the publication, Crown Copyright